Members of Los Angeles’ segregated, all-black Fire Engine Company No. 30 stand in front of their firehouse on Central Avenue, circa 1931.
Part of the Dunbar Economic Development Corporation Collection in the USC Digital Library.

Members of Los Angeles’ segregated, all-black Fire Engine Company No. 30 stand in front of their firehouse on Central Avenue, circa 1931.

Part of the Dunbar Economic Development Corporation Collection in the USC Digital Library.

A 1928 view of the Monte Mar Vista tract, now part of Los Angeles’ Cheviot Hills neighborhood. The street in the foreground is Monte Mar Drive. The Hillcrest Country Club is behind the house on the left.
Courtesy of the USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection.

A 1928 view of the Monte Mar Vista tract, now part of Los Angeles’ Cheviot Hills neighborhood. The street in the foreground is Monte Mar Drive. The Hillcrest Country Club is behind the house on the left.

Courtesy of the USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection.

Discover the history of Angels Flight and its long-lost downtown L.A. cousin, Court Flight in episode one of Incline L.A., a new video series we co-produced with KCET.

Lincoln Park in Los Angeles, circa 1900. Then named Eastlake Park, the fifty-acre site occupied the former bed of the Arroyo de las Pasas. More on the park’s early history in L.A. as Subject’s latest KCET contribution.
(Photo part of the Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection in the USC Digital Library)

Lincoln Park in Los Angeles, circa 1900. Then named Eastlake Park, the fifty-acre site occupied the former bed of the Arroyo de las Pasas. More on the park’s early history in L.A. as Subject’s latest KCET contribution.

(Photo part of the Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection in the USC Digital Library)

Aerial view of the intersection of First Street, Second Street, and Glendale Boulevard, as seen from the Goodyear blimp in 1936.
Part of the Automobile Club of Southern California Collection in the USC Digital Library.

Aerial view of the intersection of First Street, Second Street, and Glendale Boulevard, as seen from the Goodyear blimp in 1936.

Part of the Automobile Club of Southern California Collection in the USC Digital Library.