Never mind its pronunciation — here’s how Los Feliz looked in 1928.
Part of the Automobile Club of Southern California collection in the USC Digital Library.

Never mind its pronunciation — here’s how Los Feliz looked in 1928.

Part of the Automobile Club of Southern California collection in the USC Digital Library.

Los Feliz Blvd., shown here looking east from Griffith Park Blvd., under construction in 1927. The construction work widened the street to 120 feet from Vermont Ave. to Riverside Dr.

Part of the California Historical Society Collection in the USC Digital Library.

These two views, taken from the same location but separated by roughly 26 years, depict the dramatic growth Los Angeles experienced in the early twentieth century.

Both photographs show the East Hollywood/Los Feliz area and were taken from Mount Olive, today the site of the Barnsdall Art Park and the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Hollyhock House. The eastern end of the Hollywood Hills appears in the background.

Los Feliz Boulevard under construction, circa 1920s

Los Feliz Boulevard under construction, circa 1920s