Helms Bakery trucks once delivered freshly baked goods to neighborhoods across Southern California. Here’s a truck and its driver in 1931, the year the bakery debuted its fleet. (USC Digital Library/Dick Whittington Photography Collection)
In 1952, Louis A. Gardner (left) of Los Angeles wrote to Albert Einstein about recent UFO sightings. Here’s Einstein’s response.
(USC Digital Library/Los Angeles Examiner Collection)
In 1931, the city of Los Angeles bored through Elysian Park to extend Figueroa Street toward the north. Today, these tunnels are part of the Arroyo Seco Parkway. (Photo: USC Digital Library/Dick Whittington Photography Collection)
The P.K. Sandwich stand at Crenshaw & Vernon in 1930, when a French dip sandwich cost 20¢. (USC Digital Library/Dick Whittington Photography Collection)
"Books, libraries, and learning in propaganda art"
- Books cannot be killed by fire… University of Illinois, University Library
- If you don’t read you will forget how to read and write. USC Libraries
- Get war information material at your public library. North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources
- Woman! Literacy is a basis of your freedom! USC Libraries
- Give more books, 1943 Victory Book Campaign. University of Illinois, University Library
- The day of soviet propaganda. Knowledge to all! USC Libraries
- Peasant, strengthen the alliance of workers and peasants… USC Libraries
- Knowledge and hard work will give us a new way of life. USC Libraries
- Ten years ago the Nazis burned these books. University of Illinois, University Library